Saturday 19 October 2013

Jelly Roll Race Completed, Challenge Finished Late and a Little Bit of Geekery Achieved

I've finished my Jelly Roll Race Quilt and it's all ready to take up to Eloise at half term. It took longer to do this part than it did to make up the quilt top! The backing is an old duvet cover cut up and the binding is purchased black and white polka dot bias binding.
I've also finished my September Challenge Piece for the Needlecraft Haven Monthly Challenge ~ one day before October's is due! Think I might be late with my October Finish too.
The challenge for September was a reindeer design from Kissy Cross. I stitched this one pretty much as given in the chart (colours weren't specified) except that I substituted two small star shaped buttons for the two button shaped stitched motifs in the design. I finished it as a small runner, to fit the top of the bookcase in the hall. Look! Stripy ric rac! Half of Truro probably heard my squeal of delight when I found that! The other finishes are in the album here
And finally, something for my Geekmas tree. This has the official Naomi seal of approval and has been pronounced "Cool".

If you want to make your own little festive Snowballing Ironman bauble you will need:
an open glass ornament (I got mine from Queen of Crafts)
a small amount of cotton wool
a few sequins
some tiny white pompoms
a 2" tall Ironman figure (or another superhero of your choice)
strong craft glue

First glue a little cotton wool into the bottom of your bauble to make a snowy base. My bauble has a flat bottom which made this easy. If yours is completely spherical you'll need to use something more solid to make a platform to stand your figure on

Glue a tiny pompom into Ironman's hand, and when this has set, put a generous amount of glue on his feet, wiggle him into place and hold him in position until he has stuck.

Finally glue the sequins and remaining pompoms in a pile at his feet as ammunition.

Linked up to Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes (button in side bar)

Now, I've got the rest of the pack of baubles left, so I need to decide what else would look good in them. Any ideas?

10 comments:

Sally said...

Love your quilt and your challenge finish. Both are beautiful.

Fantastic Ironman bauble!

MarchAnn said...

Love your Jelly Roll quilt. I have my Jelly rolls but I can't seem to get my seams 1/4 inch. I am working on that then I am going to do a One Block Wonder quilt or two.
The ornament is great.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The penguin? hahahaha.

I love your runner, a very nice way to finish this design.

Don't scare me, we have a week until October's is done, not a day . eeek!

cucki said...

Aww I love your quilt so much..so sweet
And your challenge finish is so cute too..
Big hugs xo

Barb said...

Oh Christine love how you finished your challenge piece. I hang my head in shame here as I have still not got round to it!! I am hoping to do more next year-well got to think in advance.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Lovely quilt Christine - and a great September finish

Mylene said...

Both beautiful finishes, Christine!

Julie said...

Eloise is going to love that beautiful quilt, perfect for the colder evening snuggled up reading her uni books.

Love the table runner, very clever idea, might have to pinch that one.

Ironman is fab, your geek tree is going to be the talk of the WWW.

Melissa said...

What a beautiful quilt! Bravo! I have a couple of jelly rolls at home too :)I know this might seem a little of a silly question but... where did you get the pattern. I'm a complete newbie at this haha

Dani - tkdchick said...

Love, love, love! Your quilt!